Friday, December 9, 2016

My Wikipedia Trail

This is the first time I've tried the Wikipedia Trails assignment but I think it was a really clever idea. I started out with Sita and ended up at the drink called "Soma".

For the most part everything I read about Sita I already knew. I think the way she was found is so interesting, inside of a furrow. But it also said that some associate her as the wife of Indra, which I wasn't aware of. That's how I came to Indra's page.

For one, I actually really like the name Indra. I thought it was really cool that he is the god of lightning, thunder, storms, rains and river flows. He possesses a lot of earthly power. To be able to control the earth in that way seems like he has control over the earth's emotions. It's very poetic if you ask me. 

Then I got to Vritra who is the adversary of Indra. It also says he is in the form of a dragon or serpent. And is also the personification of drought. I have never heard of Vritra before but Wikipedia said that he was slain by Indra. I thought it was pretty interesting how he is the drought and Indra is basically a huge storm.

Somehow, I ended up at Soma which is a Vedic ritual drink. It is also said that drinking Soma produces immortality. But it is attested that humans consume this drink.

Here is my trail...
1. Sita
2. Indra
3. Vritra
4. Soma

No comments:

Post a Comment