Thursday, December 1, 2016

Story: Wreck Me (Sita & Rama)

Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep...

Sita struggled to open her eyes. As she blinked away the blur, she saw a figure standing in the doorway. "Rama?" She croaked. 

"Hi honey, you're finally awake. We were so worried. How do you feel?"

She stared blankly at the older man, now hovering over her. "Where am I?" She looked around the clean white room and down at the wires and IV in her right arm. 

"You've been in a car accident, darling. You're in the hospital until you've made a full recovery." The man explained.

Sita began to panic. "Where is Rama? Was he in the accident too? Is he okay?"

"Rama?" The man looked at her, concerned.

"Yes. My husband, Rama. Where is he?" She asked frantically.

"Sweetheart, you and Rama haven't been together in a year."

She shook her head. "No. That can't be- I was just... tell me where he is! Who are you?!"

The man brushed her hair from her face. "Honey, I am your father. Do you not remember me?"



*Two days earlier*

Sita was running late for school as usual. She had spilled her coffee all over herself right before walking out the door. It was the first day of her senior year, so she had to look exceptional for this day. Plus, this would be the first time she's seen Rama in months. She didn't want to make him miss her. I mean they had agreed it was best to go their separate ways for senior year... but it hadn't been easy to just let go. 

She walked into her first class, ten minutes late, and grabbed a seat near the back. 

"Nice of you to join us Miss Sita!" Mrs. Berry said.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Berry, it won't happen again!"

She went through the day, class to class. Seeing friends here and there. She had already run into Lakshamana. He stopped and asked how her summer was and if she was ready to graduate in just one short school year. She had missed him. But mostly Rama. Even though she acted at ease about their decision to go separate ways, she longed for his embrace. Finally the lunch hour crept around, when she was sure she would finally see Rama. She turned the corner to the cafeteria and there he was. His perfect shaggy dark hair had gotten longer since she had seen him last. And he must have been out in the sun plenty this summer judging by the golden brown color of his skin. He was sitting at a table with his brother and their friends, Ravana, his sister Soorpanaka, and the five Pandava brothers: Yudhisthira, Bhima, Nakula, Sahadeva and Arjuna. Sita was so busy studying him that she hadn't realized she wasn't even walking anywhere. 

"Hey! How was your summer girl?" Draupadi swung her arm over Sita's shoulders.

Sita jumped. "Oh! Hi. Sorry, did you say something to me?"

Drapadia laughed. "Yes. Welcome back, I asked how your summer was? Are you alright?" Draupadi followed Sita's gaze over to Rama. "Oh. You all are still on that break thing?"

"...Yeah, we are. It's just what's best for now." Sita sighed.

"Well, c'mon. It isn't nice to stare." Draupadia grabbed Sita's hand and drug her over to the boys. "Heeeeyyyyy!" She said, in her usual bubbly tone.

Rama looked up and met Sita's gaze. He smiled and stood up, wrapping his arms around her, embracing Draupadi next. "How are you girls? Sit down! Eat with us."

They sat and spent the rest of the lunch hour with the crew but Sita wasn't being her normal self. It felt weird to her to have to act just as Rama's friend and she really wasn't sure what that even looked like. 

That night Draupadi texted Sita, inviting her to her back to school party at her house. Draupadi's parents were out of town, so she was going all out. Sita didn't feel like doing much that night. She promised Draupadi she would come away, though, because she was her best friend and all. Sita was assigned to buy desserts and ice for the drinks. She left an hour before the party started to go and run the errands and help Draupadi finish setting up. 

She was stopped at a red light. And then it turned green, so she went. Someone coming from the right of her decided to run a red light. She saw lights right before everything went sideways and then black. The next thing she saw was an older man standing over her, lying in a hospital bed. And the only person she could remember was Rama. 

*Present Time*

Her face fell. "No. I only remember Rama. Can you please get him for me?" She begged her father.

Just as she said those words, Rama ran around the corner. "Sita! What in the world? I didn't know until today. I would have come earlier. I am so sorry!" He knelt at her side, grabbing her hand. 

Tears began to fill her eyes. "Rama, I am scared. I think I may have lost most of my memory. I awoke and all I could remember was you. And this man-" 

"Your father. You don't remember him?" Rama interjected. 

"No. You are the only one. I was so afraid, he told me we were no longer together. I didn't think you would come." Tears began to soak her face. 

Rama crawled into the hospital bed with her. "I am here now and that's all that matters. Don't worry, we will make it through this."

Sita drifted to sleep, in Rama's arms. She spent the next six month regaining her strength and memory, but Rama never left her side. It was fate that they belonged together and they vowed never again to separate from on another.


A/N
I've always wanted to write a story about someone who lost their memory after a car crash. I know there are already books and movies about this but it's always fascinated me. Especially when love is involved. I sort of tied it to another story of mine, or tried to, Draupadi's Party and Kunti's Hundred Questions. The party found in that story was the party Sita was headed to when she got in a wreck. I would like to revise this a lot and give it some more twists but this is just the rough draft. I kind of thought "the skies the limit" with this one since it was my last story. So I made a few of the main characters from the epics friends in this story. I thought that would be interesting. I hope you enjoyed it!

Bibliography: Narayan's Ramayana 

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Madelyn! I really enjoyed reading your story. I liked how it was a very simple yet powerful one, a story of how strong the love between two people was and how it prevailed in the end. I’ve been hearing about how several of the people that I know have broken up after being in a long-term relationship so it was nice to read a story where there was a happy ending. I like how the conversations in the story were very laid back and more relaxed. I also liked how you decided to make it to where everyone was friends with each other. In many of the epics we read in this class, there are a lot of conflicts so it is nice to have a story where everyone is friends. I only found one mistake.

    "Nice of you to join us Miss Sita!" Mrs. Berry said.
    Add a comma before Miss Sita.

    Overall, your story was really good! Keep up the good work.


    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this story! I think you did a great job! This story reminded me a lot of the movie "The Vow" Was that your inspiration by chance? I think that you have a really good writing style! This a wonderful last story for the semester! I hope you have a great time at OU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a modern interpretation! I really like how you had Sita and Rama on a "break" and incorporated all the normal high school things like coming back after a long summer break and needing to look really good for someone, haha. It was very interesting how she lost her memory too and could only remember Rama! I hope she eventually remembers her family too! Such a sweet story though and it's always so cool to have the characters from other epics be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story is so touching! I always love a good car accident drama.... is that so wrong? I'm also a huge fan of creating a contemporary telling from the tales... especially the Ramayana which was my favorite! I feel like, if you wanted, you could have utilized the dialog in a more relaxed, contemporary style, since you placed them in a totally modern setting. I loved the little details, like Rama crawling into the hospital bed with her. I thought the note of fate at the end really tied the story completely back to themes we have learned in this class over the semester. Really wonderful story, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shocker, I liked it! You captured the teenage awkwardness and angst really well. I also liked how you included so many of the characters. Sita and Draupadi as best friends was a good call. I like that it is in a shared universe with your other story too. I could totally see this being a CW drama.

    ReplyDelete