Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Reading Notes: Pattanaik Calendar Art, Part A



I thought this video was so interesting. I really am fascinated with the Indian culture. It is amazing how in depth everything goes. Even the simplest things have meaning to them. Ever god is so unique and each serve a different purpose. Each detail on every god is a symbol for something. I like the the Indian culture has reasons for their traditions. I feel that in many cultures a tradition is just a tradition and there's not explanation for why or how it started. Indian culture, to me, seems more like a fantasy. I know that to those who claim the culture this is all very real to them. A human with an elephant head? That is something completely normal in Indian culture. To me that's something I'd see maybe in a Disney movie. But I love this about Indian culture, the sky is the limit. It is captivating. I learned so much more about the culture just from this one thirty minute video over the Indian Calendar Art!

Bibliography:
Author: Devout Pattanaik 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see someone who has watched these videos. I think I'm going to use them for my reading this coming week. I agree about the fantastical element to Indian culture. It does stem from just being unfamiliar with these ideas, but I love it. Natural elements also play a large role which make it seem more foreign because a lot of Western religions/ cultural symbols do not revolve around nature.

    ReplyDelete