Thursday, October 20, 2016

Story Planning: Sita's Rebellion

I thought this week I would try the new story planning option. I really like this idea because sometimes I feel I haven't really developed my story fully when I write it. Here I will brainstorm some ideas for my story this week. 

I would really like to write about when Rama chooses to banish Sita the forest. I think it's crazy that Rama treats Sita in this manner. All she has ever been is loyal to him and he has shown no loyalty to her. Here are my two ideas.

1. Rama does not banish Sita to the forest. 
Maybe Rama could just choose to rule with Sita by his side and not worry what society might think of him. Another idea would be to actually have Rama step down from the thrown in order to be with Sita. I would really like to see some sacrifices being made on Rama's part for Sita. If he was really so in love with her he shouldn't have to worry how society views him, even though he is king. 

2. Rama still banishes Sita but she doesn't come back with him from the forest. I could have Sita fall out of love with Rama. When Rama comes to the forest to retrieve Sita and his two sons I would still have her prove her purity to Rama but she will not be going home with him. In my opinion Sita has done so much for Rama and always thought the world of him but Rama more than once has questioned Sita's integrity. I think it's time to be able to see Sita stand up for herself. Maybe I could even split up the brothers. Maybe one will want leave with Rama and one will wish to stay in the forest with his mother Sita. 

Of course, I always like happy endings, but life doesn't always work out that way. I think it would be interesting to give the story a twist that the readers don't expect. And who knows, the more I think about it maybe I will have Sita cheat on Rama. That could get pretty interesting. 

Bibliography:
Nina Paley

4 comments:

  1. To me, Rama's banishing Sita was the strangest part of the Ramayana. She had been loyal for their entire relationship and then he banishes her because his subjects question her loyalty. It seems like, if a normal person did what Rama did, they'd be considered terrible. It would be interesting to write a story where Sita did cheat. It would bring some more turmoil to the epic. Maybe the kidnapping was just an excuse for Sita and Ravana to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! Splitting up the brothers? That's such a sad path for the story to take! I think there are a lot of things you could do with it, though: maybe the brothers are reunited some day, or become kings of rival kingdom that have to work out their differences years down the road. Having Rama step down from the throne or risk accusation himself would be noble, but not quite as interesting; the story would just end there, more or less. I like the idea of having Sita choose to go a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a lot of directions you could take with your ideas. You could go far with the idea of rama stepping down from the throne or just ruling with sita by his side. That is what I originally thought he was going to do , instead he chose to lie to his wife and send her away without her even knowing. I love that picture though. That is what originally caught my eye when I got on to your page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I agree with Shruti, I adore your picture. With that said, I agree with you as well a twist is always good, and the one that caught my eye is the one with Sita cheating on Ram. While that goes against the ideal that this couple stands for it rings true with life's reality. Things don't always go your way. I do love the other ideas you have as well! I am sure that you will do an amazing job in what ever story you choose! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete