Sunday, September 4, 2016

Feedback Thoughts


Personally, I've never had an issue with feedback. I think for the most part I enjoy giving it and receiving it. For instance, I am a very open book and am drawn to deep conversations with anyone. I'm not afraid to share emotions I feel in the depths of my heart or discuss difficult topics with someone. I think in all of my friendships I give and receive plenty of feedback and I think I'm fairly good at accepting "constructive criticism". 

However, I understand that feedback isn't everyone's favourite thing. I think though, that it is all in the way you word it as the articles we read have stated. The first article, "5 Tips For Taking Feedback Like A Champ" I really liked the point they made about growth areas. If someone points out an area in your life where you are maybe slacking a bit- don't let it discourage you, let it empower you to do better, to try harder to achieve your goals. I am guilty of having a fixed mindset, where I don't try when I am challenged but this is an area where I need to push myself to grow into someone with a growth mindset! 

I love almost anything to do with Psychology so the second article was super interesting to me! In "Why Rejection Hurts So Much- And What To Do About It", I learned that evolutionary psychologists think that the sting of rejection stems from the days when we were hunters and gatherers. Back then you simple could not survive on your own, so if you were exiled (or rejected by your group) it was a death sentence. That same feeling we feel today when someone rejects us, is just a part of who we are. I found that idea very intriguing, and I never would have thought about that on my own!!

I liked how in "Prescence Not Praise: How To Cultivate a Healthy Relationship with Achievement" the point was made that when a child is praised all the time they think they don't have to try as hard anymore. Praising a child for difficult tasks like sharing and saying "thank you" is good, and pushes them to do better. But if you praise a child constantly they have no incentive to try harder to achieve goals set by their parents! I thought this was a really good point and I know a lot of parents who praise their children for anything and everything. I am sure I am guilty of it too. But just to be there and support the child and comment on a picture they're drawing is enough to encourage them to keep going. We don't have to shower them with praise 24/7!

In the last article "The Difference Between Praise That Promotes Narcissism vs. Healthy Self-Esteem", I learned that focusing on the fact that a child "worked really hard" to achieve something rather than is "very smart" is extremely important. The point was made that if you praise a child for being smart, when they fail they will just assume they're stupid. Now if you praise them for their hard work, the next time they fail they will know they just must work harder! This really puts feedback into perspective for me. Simply watching how you word your praise is so important to facilitate the correct response! 


No comments:

Post a Comment