Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Reading Notes: The Ramayana- Part B

I absolutely loved these two chapters. In the first, Encounters In Exile- I was so intrigued by Kamavalli's (Soorpanka) determination to be with Rama. She was described with so much beauty and captivating qualities that I was sure there had to be a catch somewhere. And then once she did not have her way with Rama and was all sliced up by Lakshmana she proceeded to go to her brother Ravana for help. I found it interesting though, that she turned the story all around to make it appear that she had seen Sita and wanted her for her brother. This was very clever of Soorpanka- since she didn't want to reveal to her brother her real emotions towards Rama since Rama was out to kill all of them. One of my favourite parts was when Mareecha morphed into a golden deer with hooves adorned with jewels. The imagery in this part of the book was off the charts. (And I am a sucker for imagery because it really pulls me into a story.) Rama, so love stricken for Sita- obeys her wish you retrieve the animal for her. And as we know, this is only a ploy to get Sita alone so that Ravana can take her, as he is stricken with love for her. All the while this entire plan was set up by Soorpanka who is madly and desperately in love with Rama. Whew, what a love square we have going on here!!

I think I have an abundance of info here to use for my story for this week. I could twist and manipulate the plot in countless ways to really be able to make it my own. I could make it more modern and have them all go to a counseling session- as I have seen other students do in some of their stories. I could maybe pretend they're all celebrities and then have them on a talk show like Ellen. Or even better, have you ever heard of Bachelor In Paradise? It's a show based on The Bachelor/Bachelorette where all these singles go to paradise to find love and there's always a ton of drama. I could put them in that type of setting and really be able to run with it I think. The possibilities are really endless and I can't wait to see what I can conjure up this week!!




Bibliography 
Narayan's Ramayana, link to Reading Guide A.

No comments:

Post a Comment