Thursday, September 15, 2016

Story: The Lion King Ramayana



It was at the brink of sunrise when Rama reached Ravana's kingdom, he and Lakshama moved with stealth through the tall grass of the Savannah. Shadows were cast over his land even as the sun broke the horizon. They could see Ravana's lair in the distance, where Rama hoped Ravana was holding his one true love, Sita. Ravana had always been jealous that Rama had acquired his fathers kingdom and not him. Since Ravana was the kings brother he had expected to rule the kingdom once he passed. But instead the kingdom was handed down to Rama. Because of his jealousy he had taken the one thing that meant the most to Rama, his queen Sita. After traveling through the heat without much water for two days Rama and Lakshama had finally reached their destination. Though Ravana had the hyenas on his side- Rama had every animal in the Savannah on his side. 

As they neared the lair they heard the chatter and hysterical laughter of hyenas. They couldn't be seen or else they would alert Ravana and their entire sneak attack plan would be ruined. So they made sure to walk very carefully- focusing on each step, just as when they stalked their prey. Finally they had reached the rock formation. Rama placed one paw on the rock and began to climb up towards the lair. That is when they were spotted by Ravana's little minions. They began screaming up to Ravana, "Ravana Ravana your nephew has come to take back his wife! Wake up you must stop him!"
That is when he saw her. Sita ran out of the lair and looked down at Rama, eyes wide with terror and hope. She let out a roar of relief and Rama began to climb faster. Ravana had her shackled to his lair so she couldn't escape. Rama reached her and began to bite at her shackles trying his hardest to release her from them when out of the shadows came Ravana. His shaggy black mane hung over the scar on his left eye. He dangled a key in his claws, "Aw... the brave hero is here to save the love of his life. Isn't that sweet?" the hyenas cackled all around them. "Let her go Ravana and I will leave you be," Rama snarled through his huge white teeth. "Did you think it would be that simple sweet nephew?" They were now face to face, yellow eyes wide baring their teeth at one another. "Go on, hit me. You won't hit your dear uncle, you're too weak," Ravana taunted Rama. "Lakshama, protect Sita," Lakshama nodded and did as his brother wished. 
"I didn't come here for a fight Ravana," Rama said as they circled one another on the rock. "Oh, I know you didn't, after killing your father I know it would be hard for you to have to blame yourself for another family member's death..." Ravana smirked. Rama roared into Ravana's face waking up all the animals in the Savannah. He launched himself forward and ontop of Ravana. They went tumbling, claws and teeth meeting fur and skin- off of the rock and into the tall grass below. Rama was on top a mouthful of Ravana's mane in his mouth. Ravana slapped him across the face, catching his left eye with his massive claws. Rama roared in distress. Ravana was now on top blood gushing from his forehead into his eyes. He had his paws pressed into Rama's chest and his teeth sunk into Rama's left paw. Sita watched from above screaming for Lakshama to help him. Lakshama could not leave his sister-in-laws side, he had made a promise to protect her. Rama heard Sita's cries from above and with his vision blurred shoved Ravana off of him. He charged him and grabbing him by the neck and pressing him into the earth. Ravana began choking and laughing, he hissed through the pain... "You won't kill me Rama. You're too weak." Rama looked up and they were surrounded by hyenas. They had all realized one thing, Ravana was not who he said he was. He had promised them he would rule the kingdom one day and that they would be with him on his rise to king. They were all closing in, hysterical laughter echoing from all around. Rama let go of Ravana and said, "You're right, I'll let them do it instead." They parted to make room for Rama to walk through and then closed the circle on Ravana. Rama limped slowly back up to the lair where Lakshama and Sita were perched watching as he heard Ravana's screams quiet until the only sound was of snapping jaws and ripping skin. He knew it was over.
When he reached Sita, Lakshama had already freed her from the shackles. She cried, "I thought I was going to lose you, I was so helpless up here I'm so glad yo-" Rama interrupted her. "Sita, you have been living with my uncle. I know his deceitful ways and I cannot trust that he did not take advantage of you." "...but Rama i would nev-" "It does not matter, we are through. I have saved you, you are free. You may go now." Sita looked at him puzzled. "Wait," she said. She roared to the heavens and Rafiki appeared, "Rafiki, Rama is worried I have betrayed him, please prove to him that I am still pure and that we can still be together." Rafiki cracked a coconut and slathered it across Sita's forehead. He looked at Rama, "If she is impure, the dust I spread across her forehead will turn red. If she is still pure it will stay a golden color like her fur," Rafiki let the dust slip through his fingers and onto her forehead, it remained a golden color. Rama let out a sigh of relief and embraced his wife. He purred, "I won't ever lose you again, I am so sorry Sita." She smiled and kissed his cheek, "It is okay my love, let's go back  to the kingdom and share with everyone the good news of my return." Rama, Lakshama, Rafiki and the hyenas all made the trek back to the kingdom to celebrate Sita and Rama's love. 

Author's note:
Well, this was a bit of a stretch really, I was just trying to find a new way to manipulate this part of the Ramayana and make it my own. As I hope you figured out, it is based off The Lion King. I don't know how that idea popped into my head, but I thought changing them into animals would be fun and then somehow I ended up with The Lion King! I hope you all enjoyed reading it!

Narayan's Ramayana, link to Reading Guide A.

6 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting combination of three different source materials: the Ramayana, The Lion King, and Hamlet. You captured the desperation and violence of the battle between Rama and Ravana well. I'm interested to hear how you would adapt other episodes of the Ramayana into The Lion King's setting. In addition, I think that it would be interesting if any future Lion King-based adaptations you wrote included a pantheon of deities and other divine beings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you've done here. I actually considered doing a Disney-version of one of the tales this week but I didn't end up doing it so it's really interesting to see someone else had a similar idea. I'd be very interested in seeing you maybe doing a Disney-style portfolio of tales from the readings we have in this class. The tale itself it a really fun read. Great job with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The style in which you wrote the characters (especially the hyenas) reminded me of the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz, so that was interesting. Your portrayal of the fight between Rama and Ravana being a fight between all of nature went along with the original version really well. I probably would have been a little less confused with the details if I had watched the Lion King more recently. The one part I got from the movie was the inside of the coconut being slathered on Sita's (Nala's) forehead. It was creative how you used the film details in your new version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could definitely see the connection between The Lion King and the story of Rama and Sita, so even if you feel like it was a stretch, I think you pulled it off. I still cannot get over Rama's reaction to finding Sita and even in this retelling of the story, I get irritated reading about his distrust of her and his implication that she would somehow still be at fault if Ravana had made her "impure". You definitely were able to make me feel something with your retelling of that portion of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was very interesting to see how you were able to combine aspects of the lion king into your story. You were able to make it more modern while still keeping true to the events that occurred in the Ramayana. I like the twist on the story where, in the end, the hyenas decide to follow a new leader. I enjoyed your version of the ending as well. It was very creative. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the Lion King. What a great movie. It's always a tough call for me between it and Aladdin. I'm always down for a good mash-up story. It even fit well. I think my favorite part was the call-back to the the movie and the forehead paint. I definitely wouldn't worry about anyone not getting it (from your author's note), the two pictures are a pretty good giveaway. Feel free to add a wise-cracking were-llama to a story sometime!

    ReplyDelete